Saturday, September 5, 2009

The AIX OS

IBM has its own brand of Unix. The AIX.

Most users of UNIX that I've met think AIX is some sort of OS used by higher-humans, and Solaris is for humans. Like, there's this dude I know, working in retail services for an MNC. "I work on C and UNIX. Sun's unix, you know. Also, hey, there's this OS... AIX. Gawd, it's so complex. I've even worked on that, you know."

I've not used or seen how Solaris works till this date, but I can assure you, AIX is not being designed solely for secret Nasa operations (or at least nothing I know about!). A 15 year old can work on it just like he works on DOS. Fact is, AIX has so many distinct features compared to its competitors that when you first look at it, you're lost. It takes time to grow into it, and it's worthwhile for UNIX system admins and organisations to read up on AIX and the advantages it offers over its rivals. There's so much!

AIX is mostly used on P-Series systems, and it is designed on top of them, unlike any other style of UNIX; so, I say you get max returns (performance and stability) on your investment on Pseries with AIX, compared to Solaris, UX or linux.

If you're here reading this, it means that you already know about the AIX basics and its history. For all I know, you might even be an ardent DevWorks dude. So, I stop here.

No comments:

Post a Comment